Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Day 3 Ohio: January 4, 2008

Temp: 19
Wind: Gosh, 12-15 mph
Snow: 2-3 inches on the ground

Today, I shoveled snow for the first time. Boy, was this comical! I know, some of you would have paid money to see this little event. I’ll attempt to tell you about it . . .

This morning, I took a glance outside and saw lots of snow on the steps. Thinking like an Ohioan (is that what they’re called?), I decided that the steps needed to be cleared. So, I bundled up – cap, check; scarf, check; coat, check; boots, oops, still haven't bought those yet. I picked up the shovel from the back porch and threw it over my shoulder with confidence. And I must admit, I headed outdoors, nose in the air, in a cocky, sort of fashion. “Shoveling snow . . . how hard can this be? This stuff actually reminds me of Splenda. So light and fluffy. Oh yes, this will be easy peasy.”

So, I picked up the shovel and dug into the fluffy stuff. So, neat – I had a big heaping shovel full. And then it occurred to me . . . now that I have the snow on the shovel, where do I put it? Seriously? If I sling it to my left, the wind will just pick it up and blow it right back. If I sling it to my right, they’ll be a huge pile of snow right there against the house.

Now, unbeknownst to me, shoveling snow is apparently a fine tuned skill. And in my run down of “things to know”, Hubby and I never covered the “shoveling snow” section.

So, I stood there, contemplating my plan. Where do I put the snow? Where do I put the snow? To the right, yes definitely to the right. And so I did. And I even shoveled the front steps. I stood back, gazing proudly at my accomplishment.

Fast forward about an hour later. My father-in-law, knocked on the door. Glad to see a familiar face, I invited him in. But, he declined and said he had just come down to bring a couple of items and to shovel the snow. And I thought to myself . . . "Can't he see that I just did that? I mean, I know I'm a newbie, but surely what I did will suffice, right?" Now, let me tell you about my father-in-law. He’s an older man of age, but with the body and energy of a teenager. Seriously . . . he can run circles around most people my age. So, he went to shoveling and man was I impressed! He had a shovel and this huge broom. Now when it comes to shoveling snow, my father-in-law has “skills!” By the time that he had finished, he had the whole patio and steps clean as a whistle. He even did the sidewalks. Not a drop of snow remained! Wow!

So, I guess I write all of this to tell you that this Florida girl shoveled snow for the first time. Oh, and I guess to say “thanks” Dad W for taking care of me and my girls.

And now . . . I'll leave you with this picture:

2 comments:

At A Hen's Pace said...

That's so funny! Glad you're getting some good experience there.

And trust my dad to show up when you need him!

You're in good hands there, even when Pilot Brother is gone.

--Jeanne

Anonymous said...

Both of you look right in style, like all the rest of us "Ohioans"--yep, you were right! Guess you even thought it was.....fun? At any rate, some exercise, huh. Pianomum