Monday, September 3, 2007

Two sweet little blessings . . .

Well the cold/sinus infection has made it's way around our house. It's official, we are all suffering from it's effects. The sickness has forced me to slow down a little, which now in hind sight, has been nice. I've focused more on my little girls and less about scrubbing the floors or folding laundry.

Little Baby Lulu, she struggled to breath through the congestion. I sat rocking her while she drank her last bottle of milk. Her eyes were so heavy. She has not been napping well. I can imagine it's hard for her to breath. But, as she lay there in my arms, it was like she was finally able to close her eyes and fall asleep. I stared at her . . . her perfect little lips. It's sweet, the way she crinkles her nose. And at that moment, I just wanted to sit there and drink her up. After a few minutes passed, I walked slowly to her room and gently placed her in her crib . . .

A minute later, Maddy1 crawled up in my lap with a hand full of books. And we read. She made all the animal sounds, careful not to miss any. And then, we read the last book. She closed it's cover, looked at me and in the sweetest little voice said, "Rock." I melted. She turned around and put her head on my shoulder and I rocked her. I looked at her body. When did she get so big? Her legs stretched down so far. What happened to my little baby girl? I sang to her and she hummed. And then she did something she has not done since she was 6 or 7 months old --- she twirled my hair. When she was an infant and I held her, rocking her before putting her into her bed, she used to reach up and twirl my hair. After a few minutes, I heard her breathing change and I knew she must be asleep. I walked slowly to her room, trying not to wake her and placed her in her crib . . .

Thank you Lord, for these quiet moments. And thank you for reminding me of the blessings that you have bestowed upon me.

2 comments:

Megan Cobb said...

Yes ma'am. Those are the moments, are they not? Sigh.

At A Hen's Pace said...

How lovely....

Jeanne